Story behind the sai vrat pooja :
Kokilaben and her husband Maheshbhai used to live in a big city and they had lots of love for each other. But Maheshbhai’s nature was very annoying and he had no sense of talking. Neighbors were also very much frustrated by his this kind of nature. Kokilaben had lots of faith in GOD and she was very religious.
She was tolerating all her problems silently having lots of faith in GOD that GOD will make everything all right one day. But because of Maheshbhai’s nature, their business went down gradually and there was not enough income. He started staying at home all day and his nature become worst.
It was an afternoon. One old saint came to Kokilaben’s door. There was enormous light on his face. And he asked for rice and dal (lentils). Kokilaben gave him rice and dal and she folded her both hands and said “namste” (greetings).
Saint replied “SAI will always keep you happy.” Kokilaben said “There is no happiness in my life” and she told all her problems to the saint.
After listening to all her problems, Saint told her about
“SAI NAV (NINE) GURUWAR (THURSDAY) VRAT”.
Saint told as follows about the Vrat.
· This Vrath can be started from any Thursday by uttering SAI BABA’s name.
· This Vrath has to be continued for 9 Thursdays.
· Any male, female or child can do this Vrat.
· On these Nine Thursday, individual who is doing vrat can eat fruit/milk/sweets etc. all day long or can have one meal a day. ONE MUST NOT DO THIS VRAT WITHOUT EATING ANYTHING.
· If possible, go to SAI BABA’s temple to have SAIBABA’s darshan on these Nine Thursday.
· At home, do pooja / prayer of SAI BABA as follows.
· In the morning or in the evening, do the pooja as mentioned below.
· Put Yellow Cloth in front of you and place SAI BABA’s Photo or Statue on this cloth.
· Light lamp (diya) in front of BABA’s picture.
· Wash or wipe BABA’s picture with clean water and cloth.
· Put “tikka (Bindi on the forehead)” with “kumkum” (red powder) on BABA’s face.
· Offer Yellow Flower to BABA.
· Offer Fruit or Sweets to BABA as Naivadhya (Prasad)
· Read this SAI story and Read / Sing SAIBABA’s Aarti after finishing Pooja and reading story.
· Tell BABA why you are doing this Vrat and ask him to fulfill your wish.
· Give Prasad to all your friends and family members and you also eat it some.
· If, because of any reason, you cannot do vrat on any Thursday, skip that Thursday and continue from the next Thursday.
· If female is doing this Vrat, skip the Thursday during Menstrual Cycle period.
· On the 9th Thursday, Celebrate SAI VRAT. In this celebration process, feed 5 poor people and distribute this SAI VRAT book among people. One can give 5, 11 or 21 etc.
Since i get mails from shirdi saibaba devotees who cant donate food : Saibaba devotees living abroad and those who are not able to give food , can give some sweets to your friends or childrens near by. If possible send money to your relatives in india or request them provide food to poor people sitting outside temple or generally distribute sweets to devotees in any temple.Its better to make childrens happy by giving them any toys, books sweets etc. The point is you are inlving yourself in a good deed.
· Put this SAI VRAT Story Book or printed paper , which you are going to distribute among people, when you do pooja and then give them to people. By doing this, their wishes will be fulfilled very soon too.
Since few saibaba devotees living abroad are not able to get this book , you can also distribute Sainath stavan manjari provided in this site. Take a print out and send to your friends or send the link with personal message to close friends.
· All wishes will be fulfilled by doing this vrat.
In this Kali Age (Kaliyug), this vrat is very effective. This vrat will give desired fruit to doer but doer must have full faith and patience. Whoever will distribute this SAI VRAT book among people and make good name of SAI and this Vrat, their all wishes will be fulfilled.
After listening about this SAI VRAT from Saint, Kokilaben also decided to do this vrat. She started Vrat from the Thursday. And she finished 8 Guruwars with full faith. On the 9th Guruwar, she fed poor people and distributed SAI VRAT books among friends and relatives.
As soon as she finished the Vrat, all the quarrels vanished from her house. Prosperity, happiness and peace spread in her home. Maheshbhai’s nature was changed completely. Their business started doing well. And in no time, they got all the happiness and prosperity.
Both husband and wife started living happily. One day Kokilaben’s sister-in-law and brother-in-law came from Surat. Her sister-in-law was talking with Kokilaben. The former said that her kids were not studying and getting failed in exams. Kokilaben told her about SAI VRAT. She said “SAI devotion will make education better. Have faith in SAI BABA. HE helps everyone.” Kokilaben’s sister-in-law asked the detail of the vrat.
Kokilaben told about the SAI VRAT in detail. And explained her everything about the vrat. Her sister-in-law went to Surat and she sent a letter after few days. She wrote that her children have started doing SAI VRAT and now they are studying very well. She also did Vrat and distributed SAI VRAT book in her office. One of her friend, who had very hard time in getting married, got married to a very nice man after started doing SAI VRAT. Her neighbor has also started doing SAI VRAT and she got her stolen jewelry box back. It was a great miracle.
Dear shirdi sai baba , as you have blessed these people, please bless all of us too.
Contributed by saishuba - shirdi sai bless her. Thanks.
Questions and doubts about this sai nav guruwar vrat puja ?
I have not done this pooja myself but my sai friends has done. Few ask me about the story and i guide them with links but better copy the contents of this page , take printouts and distribute it in the end of 9 weeks pooja or just send email to your sai friends.If you still have doubt write to me, i shall try to guide you when i have time.Please start doing it with love on sai .surely you will get blessings of saibaba by doing this sai vrat pooja.Don't stop yourself from doing this pooja..Its simple.If you feel like doing it , ask baba for blessings to start it and try to do it . My prayers to sai for you to start sai vrat pooja as soon as possible.
1. Where do I get Sai Vrat Katha book?
Many devotees have got desired fruits from this Vrat. By word of mouth it is becoming very popular and it has won trust of many devotees. Every devotee desiring to do the vrat has this foremost question in his/her mind. Well now a days Sai Vrat Katha book is easily available in shops nearby Sai Baba temples in India. Please be noted that Sai Vrat Katha books are not published by Shirdi Sai Baba Sanshtan. For devotees residing abroad i am uploading scanned copy of Sai Vrat Katha book in English, Hindi and Marathi language. With Baba's grace and blessings Sai sister Charu and her husband have contributed this treasure. My hearty thanks to them.
2. Why should I observe fast if not recommended by Baba?
This question will certainly arise in a devotee's mind who has read Sai Satcharitra. I too agree with the same. But also on the other hand i have experienced miracles by doing this vrat. More than materialistic things for which i started the vrat, i got to see spiritual aspects. It seemed as a chance to me get more close to Baba. It is not unknown that Baba pulls His devotees by fulfilling all their wishes and then make them His forever. I request devotees not to do this Vrat just to test Baba. Only thing needed is full faith on Baba and He is sure to sail us across. In the end i leave it to reader's discretion to observe this fast or not.
3. Who can do this Vrat?
Anyone whether male, female and even children can do this Vrat. Old and Sick persons can avoid it. Still if its devotee's wish to do Vrat, Baba will take fullest care! Devotees of any caste/religion/creed can do Vrat only full faith on Baba is required.
4. Should i start this Vrat from any special day?
There is no such rule. It can be started from any Thursday by taking Baba's name and seeking His help and grace for desire for which the Vrat is taken up.
5. What is the procedure of Vrat?
Sai Baba must be worshipped in morning or in evening. Sai Baba's photograph must be placed on a yellow cloth. Clean the photograph with clear water. Tilak of Chandan (sandalwood) and Kumkum must be applied to the photograph of Sai Baba. Yellow coloured flowers or garland must be offered to Sai Baba, incense sticks and lamp must be lighted and then the main story of the vrat must be read. Sai Baba's name must be remembered and then prasad must be distributed.
6. What else should be read/chanted apart from Vrat story and Sai Baba Arti?
Again there are no hard and fast rules in this. Sai Baba Arti is sufficient, still if you wish you can chant Sai Chalisa and Sai Bavani given in Vrat book.
7. What can be given as Prasad?
Prasad may consist of some sweet, dry fruit or fruits.
8. What can be eaten in this Vrat?
Vrat can be done only by eating fruits, sweets or drinking milk, tea or coffee. It can also be done by taking one time meal in evening. It should not be done by not eating anything. A devotee had asked me whether she can eat potatoes, cucumber and tomatoes during this vrat. The answer is yes.
9. Is it compulsory to visit Sai Baba Temple?
No it is not. But it is preferred. If any unavoidable circumstances exist then Baba can be worshipped at home only. Only thing required is full faith!!!
10. Can i do Vrat if i am not at home or when I am travelling?
Yes you can. Baba has not laid any compulsions for worshipping Him. This applies in this Vrat also. Again only thing required is full faith!!!
11. What if i miss any Thursday(s) due to unavoidable circumstances?
That Thursday(s) should be skipped and following Thursday(s) can be considered in counting Nine Thursdays. The same applies for women if they are going through menses.
12. Is it compulsory to conclude Vrat on nineth Thursday?
Yes it is.
13. How Vrat is concluded?
Vrat is concluded by visiting Sai Baba temple on nineth Thursday, feeding five poor people and distributing 5,11 or 21 Sai Vrat Katha books to your friends and relatives to increase Sai Mahima.
14. What if Sai Vrat Katha books are not available for distribution?
As said earlier they are easily available in India. For devotees residing abroad they can mail scanned copies of books. Before giving/sending Sai Vrat Katha books please make sure from the recipient that he/she will do Vrat.
15. What if I cannot feed poor people?
Devotees residing abroad generally face this question. In such cases devotees can request their relatives to feed poor people in India on their behalf. If they wish to do the same themselves then they can keep food articles in any nearby Sai temple and request temple authorities to offer these food articles as prasad. They can also give food donation to any Sai temple or directly to Shirdi Sai Baba Sansthan Easy Donation Facility.
16. What if I reside abroad and cannot do Vrat on Thursday being a working day?
I got a mail asking this question from a lady Sai devotee. Let me first her question with you. She asked, "Dear Hetal, Om Sai Ram. I have done this vrat a year back and had amazing results. Can I ask you a question? We reside in Dubai and for us to do the vrat on Thursdays becomes a bit difficult as our weekends are on Friday/Saturday. Can this vrat be done on any other days, e.g. every Wednesday or Sunday?? Kindly advise. In Baba's yaad."
This is Nine Thursday's Baba's Vrat, so it cannot be done on any other day. The reason is quite logical and i dont think i need to explain. Well, in this case, it can be advised that if the lady cannot do Vrat on Thursdays, being a working day, she do vrat by eating recommended food in point 8 above and take one time meal in evening, thus not being hungry whole day!!! If this also does not work, she can avoid doing Vrat. Baba has never advised fasting in adverse circumstances, she can pray Him whole heartedly to fulfill her wish. It is not true that Baba fulfills wishes and desires of only those who do Vrat.
17. What if there is some tragedy in my family and if i need to do the Vrat?
I received this mail from devotee of Nasik - India
18. What can be used if you do not get Kumkum or Sandalpaste?
I received one mail asking the above question. There are no hard and fast rules for Vrat so it is fine if these things are not used..
click here to download sai vrath book in english
click here to download sai vrath book in hindi
click here to download sai vrath book in marathi
click here to download sai vrath book in tamil
Other Details Of Pooja